Monday, September 8, 2008

Fairy Tale Cottages

I like to call these type of homes Fairy Tale Cottages. I'm not real sure on the total history of these homes, but they are dated post World War Two and pre depression era. They are noted for their arched entries, unique roof materials, chimneys and rock exteriors. luckily these homes are well maintained in my area because they are in high demand. (Everyone wants a fairy tale I suppose.) This one is my favorite the roof looks like it is made of mushroom tops, and I imagine the seven dwarf's live here. This one is on a national registry and has stained glass windows. I could not get close due to traffic. but this is known as snow whites home by all the people in my city.


This one has the same arched entry and the brick detail around the door is so cute.


This one is gorgeous, but the sun was not right to get the photo.




beautiful stone front with aged trees welcoming all who come to visit.




Look at the Rapunzel steeple,




This has the same kind of Rapunzel steeple. ( And yes that is the correct term.)






This one has been added onto. (Before codes were in place to keep to it's original plan.)


There were so many more, but for reasons like people wondering what I was doing taking pictures of their homes or plain old traffic I could not get them all. But It was fun looking at these beauties. Can you imagine the people that were the original people that built these homes. I question. Were they as unique as the homes. I wonder!!!!! Love J


3 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What gems!! I love the stone front one. Some of them look a little like the Tudors around here but more unique. Thankis for sharing those - that was fun!

Jan said...

Hi Joj! My very first house in Minneapolis was much like the tudor #3, but with the rounded door to the right side of the housefrom the street. A fireplace was in between two liv. rm windows in the front. Stucco with brick and that beautiful door! It was in such a great neighborhood, my oldest son would venture out and talk with everyone from Urban newlyweds (they didn't call them that back then but they do now) to the old retired people and helped them pick up leaves and the like. I never worried about him. It was a house I cried over for many years after moving. Love those neighborhoods...those were the days!! Thanks for the sightseeing!

Rue said...

Hi J :)

What a wonderful tour! I love all those cottages :)

I hope you take more pictures some day. Who cares what people think! This is blogging darn it! LOL

hugs and love,
rue